Are you in for an adventurous food trip? Why don’t you try Mexican cuisine? They say the best way to taste a country’s culture is to taste its traditional dishes. And you can do that even without visiting Mexico! Mexican restaurants abound everywhere in the world, and they offer the best dishes Mexico has to offer. Mexican dishes are known for being spicy. Although most restaurant menus specify which dishes are loaded with chilies, you can ask the waiter “Es picante?” to know if a certain food on the menu is spicy. Regardless, a Mexican food can surely satisfy your taste and craving.
When you dine in a Mexican restaurant, look for these items on the menu. These traditional Mexican dishes are among the foods that are worth a try.
- Guacamole – It’s a dip made of mashed avocado and mixed with chilies, cilantro, tomatoes, salt, and onions. Sometimes, it is also served as a garnish.
- Enchiladas – Filled with beans, meat, or cheese, these corn tortillas are not just your ordinary tortillas. The best ones are topped with loads of cheese and chili sauce, but they are just mildly spicy.
- Taco – This traditional Mexican cuisine is a fried tortilla with a variety of fillings such as beef, tomatoes, salsa, onions, lettuce, and cheese. Yummy!
- Tequila – In Mexico, people drink tequila straight up. But in Mexican restaurants outside Mexico, tequila comes in the form of margarita, which is served in a salt-rimmed glass with lime juice as the chaser. The sourness of lime evens out and enhances the flavor of tequila, while salt reduces the burning sensation triggered by the drink. Tequila is made from a blue variety of the plant agave, which is distilled twice or thrice.
- Kahlúa – It’s the world-famous coffee-flavored liquor from Mexico.
- Burrito – Ah, who wouldn’t love to grab a bite of burrito smothered with cheese and chile? Also called taco de harina, burrito is a flout tortilla filled with different ingredients like beans, avocado, Mexican rice, cheese, and salsa. Simply a filling and tasty snack!
- Chicharrón – Best paired with beer, this deep-fried pork rind is so crispy you’ll want to savor every bite.
- Chalupas – Ideal as a snack or appetizer, chalupas are made of beans or shredded chicken and topped with salsa or guacamole. These corn tortillas will make you crave for more!
- Fajita – Served on a corn tortilla, fajita is made of strips of grilled pork, chicken, or beef.
- Quesadilla – Calling all cheese lovers out there! If you’ll go to a Mexican restaurant, the quesadilla must be on top of your must-eat list. It’s a fried, baked, or toasted flour tortilla stuffed with lots of cheese. The melted cheese inside the folded tortilla is simply mouthwatering. Quesadilla came from a Spanish word that literally means “cheese in tortillas.” If you hate eating spicy foods, then quesadillas are sure to please your taste buds.
- Salsa – It’s a sauce, but it’s more commonly known as a mixture of different spices such as onions, chile, tomatoes, and cilantro. Salsa is typically served as a dip or relish.
- Flan – For diners with sweet tooth, this Mexican-style custard dessert is a great way to balance the spicy flavor from the Mexican dishes.
- Cerveza – What better way to end your Mexican feast than having several gulps of refreshing Mexican beer?